Put on the Whole Armor of God
As believers, we have the God-given authority over all the power of the enemy (Luke 10:19). Scripture tells us that “nothing shall hurt” us. Since “we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12), our fight is a spiritual fight. Our weapon is precisely the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:11).
There are 12 “pieces” that all believers should utilize in this spiritual fight:
- Truth: The “litmus paper test” to ensure that we walk in truth is the Word of God. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life…. (John 14:6)” The enemy is the polar opposite. Scripture says, “…there is no truth in Him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies…” (John 8:44). We fight with truth based on the Word of God.
- Righteousness: As Christians, we should constantly work to remain in right standing with the Lord. When we realize that we have sinned or are corrected through the Holy Spirit, we should immediately and sincerely confess our sin and repent –consciously work against repeating the same sin. Scripture says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9)”. We cannot dispel the enemy if we are not cleansed through confession and repentance or if we are not truly sorry for our sin.
- Spoken Word: As we verbally declare the Word of God against the enemy with authority, change takes place. We should particularly declare “that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth (Philippians 2:10-11)”. There is power in the name of Jesus!
- Word of God: The Word of God is living --it changes lives and life's situations. We can use it to declare truths relating both to our lives and also truths relating to the actions of evilness.
- Salvation: Come against the enemy operating under the full power and authority given to believers –children of God-- and declare power and authority based on salvation through the Blood of Jesus Christ. Plead the Blood of Jesus against the enemy and against demonic attacks. Be specific. Command evilness to be aborted in the name of Jesus.
- Prayer of Faith and Supplication with Thanksgiving: Once truth, righteousness, the spoken word, the Word of God, and salvation are in place, humbly pray a prayer of faith –belief that delivery has taken place (evilness is aborted) and that protection is set against all that was declared to be covered by the Blood of Jesus through salvation. End the prayer in thanksgiving.
Once we are armed against evilness and covered by the Blood of Jesus, we have tasks ahead as we walk in our purposes. Love, peace, service, and perseverance are crucial.
- Love: As we continue in our walk, it is important that we “show love” to others. Love is an act. Showing love does not mean that we allow others to take advantage of us, nor that we sacrifice the abundant life that Jesus died that we might have in order to appease (i.e., make concessions to) another --particularly a responsible party who, through free will, choose evilness. The Lord expects that we all live in peace and joy.
- Peace: Peace is vital to our continued spiritual well-being. When faced with the disruptions of life, believers should each have a quick mental plan that acts to bring inner peace “in the moment” (e.g., prayer, Scripture, declaration).
- Service: As believers, we put on the armor of God to enable us to go out and serve. Jesus said the greatest among us is a servant (Matthew 23:11).
- Perseverance: Finally, difficulties are a part of life. As believers, our realization is that the Lord is with us always (Matthew 28:20), through the good and the challenges, and that all things work together for good. We win. The final move on the chessboard is always the Lord's –checkmate! Therefore, we may fall, but we cannot give up. The battle is already won.